A mommy makeover is a popular procedure for mom’s wanting to restore their body back to its pre-pregnancy shape. A mommy makeover most frequently consists of a tummy tuck with liposuction of the abdomen and hips, and a breast lift or breast augmentation. Many women who are considering this procedure wonder what their recovery time may look like, and what they can do to help ensure a smooth experience. Read on for some information about recovery and some tips to help ensure a worry-free recovery.
The mommy makeover is a highly personalized procedure, so the recovery time will vary based on the combination of procedures that you choose to include. However, the majority of women plan to take a minimum of two weeks off from work to recover. It is also recommended that there be someone available to assist with household duties, taking care of the kids, during the first week or two of recovery.
During recovery, patients can expect swelling, bruising, discomfort and difficult moving around. While the new body shape is noticeable soon after surgery, It will take a few weeks for swelling to subside and the full result to be seen.
During recovery, there are a number of things that can be done to encourage the body to heal and reduce complications. These include:
- Follow Instructions – Hands down the most important thing to do after surgery is to follow the instructions provided by the doctor such as how/when to take medications, how to take care of incisions, how to manage drains, how to bathe, recommendations on sleeping positions, what to do or not do, etc.
- Avoid Smoking- Patients will be asked to avoid smoking several weeks before and after surgery since it can cause complications and inhibit the healing process.
- Eat Healthy- Recovery is not a time for dieting. It is important to eat nourishing well-balanced meals, including fresh fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
- Hydrate – Getting enough fluids is especially important following a mommy makeover and even more so when liposuction has been done as well. Drink plenty of water and Gatorade.
- Don’t Rush – Although it’s normal to want to get back to work or the gym as soon as possible, it is necessary not rush the recovery process. Doing so can set back recovery days or weeks. When performing a task or starting to work out again, watch for signs such as increased swelling, pain, oozing at incision sites.
- Stay in Touch – If a question or concern arises during recovery, do not hesitate to contact the plastic surgeon’s office for assistance. He or she is there to help make the recovery and healing process as smooth as possible to ensure optimal results.
If you are interested in learning more about the mommy makeover procedure at Cruise Plastic Surgery, contact their office today to schedule a consultation or ask a question.