The number of men having gynecomastia surgery is steadily increasing each year, especially in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills and Orange County. With these growing numbers comes the need for the procedure to be performed in a more expeditious manner, so men can get back to work, family and the demands of daily life. Much like other procedures, such as facial rejuvenation, the demand has created a new niche with having surgery in an office setting under local anesthesia.
Traditionally, gynecomastia surgery was performed in an outpatient surgical center under general anesthesia. While effective, Joseph T Cruise, MD, one of the top gynecomastia surgeons in the country, recognized the need for the procedure to be performed under local anesthesia as well. The entire process of having gynecomastia under general anesthesia can be quite cumbersome due to the amount of time a patient has to spend at the surgery center, the increased cost to pay for the facility, anesthesiologist and registered nurse, as well as the affects anesthesia has on the body resulting in a longer recovery. As a gynecomastia specialist, Joseph T Cruise, MD performs a tremendous number of surgeries each year. There are some days where he performs 5 or more surgeries in one day. This type of experience, combined with his high level of efficiency and attention detail, has allowed him the ability to perfect performing the procedure in office under local anesthesia. This translates into a comfortable, safe, cost effective and expeditious experience for the gynecomastia patient.
Here is a general overview of what to expect when having gynecomastia surgery under local anesthesia in office.
- The entire surgical experience (check in, sedation, surgery, recovery) is typically under 2 hours.
- Patient takes an oral sedative prior to the surgery to ensure he is fully relaxed and comfortable.
- Patient picks out a “Netflix” movie to watch while the surgery takes place. (some patients may fall asleep)
- Patient is prepped for surgery. Joseph T Cruise, MD numbs the chest through injections much like the dentist. There may be some initial minor discomfort, but this subsides.
- Once the surgery is completed, the patient is ready to go home. There is no nausea, throat pain, or severe grogginess as one would experience with general anesthesia.
- Patient’s driver takes him home to rest and begin recovery. (Patients are required to have a driver)
The satisfaction rate for gynecomastia patients having surgery under local anesthesia is extremely high. The vast majority of prior patients recommend having gynecomastia surgery this way.
It’s important to note that not all gynecomastia patients are candidates for surgery under local anesthesia. This is determined at the time of consultation, which takes place in the Los Angeles, Beverly Hills or Orange County gynecomastia office locations, and depends on a variety of factors, such as: severity of gynecomastia, health history, inability to lay still for an extended period of time, nervous disorders, and more.