After The Procedure
After Neck Lift Surgery
The procedure itself will take about 2.5 hours but may take longer if other procedures are also being done at the same time.
- It is very important not to become nauseated after surgery and / or vomit. To prevent this take Zofran as directed.
- Listen to your body. If you are tired, rest. Discomfort during recovery is often a sign of overexertion.
- Rest and sleep in a reclined position at approximately 45 degrees. Use ice packs, frozen finely broken up peas or corn constantly for at least the first 3 days, 15 minutes on 15 minutes off. Do not put ice directly onto skin because you will have decreased sensitivity.
- Joseph T Cruise, MD will remove all dressings within two days of surgery. Afterward you may shower with cool water, gently wash your hair, apply generous amounts of both shampoo and conditioner. Gently wash the entire face with soap and water. Do not try to remove all blood with the first washing. Reapply garment after shower.
- You must wait one month before coloring or perming your hair.
- Avoid exposing the incision to direct sunlight for at least 6 weeks, apply sunscreen (at least SPF 15) to the area of the incision if you will be in the sun for extended periods of time.
- Do not smoke for at least 2 weeks after surgery.
- Do not use aspirin-containing products for at least 1 week. You may take Tylenol or pain medication as prescribed.
- Do not apply any cosmetics for the first 5 days. The day after surgery start applying hydrocortisone 1% to face for 1 week twice a day.
- Do not put any ointments or creams on incision lines unless instructed by Joseph T Cruise, MD. You should start applying ScarLess® on your incisions seven days after surgery. ScarLess® is a prescription strength cream with vitamin E, silicone and Hydrocortisone to help minimize redness and elevation of the scars. You can purchase ScarLess® at our office.
- Do not do any strenuous aerobic activity for 6 weeks after surgery.
WHAT TO EXPECT AS YOU RECOVER
- Immediately after neck lift surgery, some patients feel groggy or nauseous. These feelings normally subside by the next day.
- Post surgical swelling may temporarily cause the look of unevenness, skin changes, hard spots, and ridges.
- Most bruising will fade after the second week. After the first week much of the remaining discoloration can be concealed with a cream-based cosmetic.
- Most stitches will dissolve within 7 days; some might need to be removed at 2-3 weeks.
- Pink scars will eventually fade to an unnoticeable color.
- Your healing incision lines may itch a little. Avoid scratching them. Apply hydrocortisone cream.
- You may experience some numbness for up to one year. Remember not to put ice or anything hot directly onto skin because you may have decreased awareness of temperature damage.
WHEN TO CALL US
Post surgical complications are rare and are often easily solved by the doctor if you notify us. Call us if you experience any of the following: a temperature of 101 or higher, increased local redness or warmth, chest pain, shortness of breath, legs swelling, calf pain or if you feel that anything might be wrong. Please call the office@ 949-644-4808 within regular business hours, or page Joseph T Cruise, MD after business hours @
POST-OP VISITS AND CARE SUMMARY