Fat Transfer Prior To Surgery
Prior to Fat Transfer
- Fat Transfer Overview
- Mid Face Rejuvenation
- Are You a Good Fat Transfer Candidate?
- Benefits of Fat Transfer
- Joseph T Cruise, MD’s Fat Transfer Philosophy
- Prior to Fat Transfer
- Fat Transfer Anesthesia
- After Fat Transfer Surgery
- Recovery from Fat Transfer
- Possible Fat Transfer Complications
- Fat Transfer Cost and Financing
- Fat Transfer Words to Know
- Fat Transfer Before and After Pictures
Prior to Fat Injection Procedure
- Avoid sunbathing for 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- Quit smoking and nicotine use at least 4 weeks prior to surgery as nicotine can impair and delay healing. This includes any nicotine patch or nicotine containing product.
- Stop all aspirin containing products, medications that contain blood thinners (Ibuprofen Motrin, Advil etc.) vitamin E and herbal supplements including: St. John's Wort, green tea, Gingko and garlic supplements - 2 weeks prior to surgery. You can take 1 multivitamin a day.
- Let the doctor know if you develop an illness, cold, or any infection within a week of surgery.
- Make sure all requested labs and doctors clearance are delivered to Joseph T Cruise, MD's office on time.
- Schedule time off work - approximately 1-2 weeks. Two weeks if your job is labor intensive or requires direct contact with people (you may have prolonged bruising and swelling).
- Make sure a responsible adult is confined to drive you to and from surgery and that someone is available to stay with you around the clock for 24 hours after surgery.
THINGS TO PURCHASE BEFORE SURGERY
- Multivitamin. Begin taking 2 weeks before and take until 6 weeks after surgery. Do not take vitamin E separately from multivitamin.
- Protein shakes and soft foods. Soft diet is necessary for one week postoperatively for patients who have fat transfer to their cheeks.
- Gauze. You will need that to make cold compresses on your face to minimize swelling.
- Coverage Make-up. Mineral make-up is best for promoting healthy healing and does not clog pores.
- Arnica. May decrease bruising, or help it to go away faster. Available at our office.
THE DAY OF FAT TRANSFER SURGERY
- You may shower and shampoo your hair the night before or morning of your surgery.
- Brush and rinse your teeth 2 hours before surgery. Use mouth wash just prior to surgery.
- Don't eat for 8 hours and don't drink for 6 hours before surgery for general anesthesia, 2 hours for local anesthesia.
- No moisturizer, body lotions, no make up on the area where the fat is being injected.
- Do not bring any jewelry or valuables with you on the day of surgery.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing. Wear flat, comfortable shoes. Remove contact lenses and dentures before surgery.
- Take 2 pills of Celebrex 1-2 hours before surgery. (for local anesthesia take Celebrex, Antibiotic and Xanax as instructed on your medications).
- Someone must drive you to surgery and pick you up. Someone must stay with you the first night.
- Pack your bag for the day of surgery. This should include:
- all paperwork
- reading glasses
- your identification
- warm cotton socks
- all medications