Chin Implant Prior To Surgery
Prior to Chin Surgery
- Avoid sunbathing for 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- Quit smoking and nicotine use at least 4 weeks prior to surgery as nicotine can impair and delay healing. This includes any nicotine patch or nicotine containing product.
- Stop all aspirin containing products, medications that contain blood thinners (Ibuprofen Motrin, Advil etc.) vitamin E and herbal supplements including: St. John's Wort, green tee, Gingko and garlic supplements - 2 weeks prior to surgery. You can take 1 multivitamin a day.
- Let our office know if you develop an illness, cold, or any infection within a week of surgery.
- Make sure all requested labs and doctors clearance are delivered to Dr. Cruise's office on time.
- Schedule time off work - approximately 1 week. Two weeks if your job is labor intensive.
- Make sure a responsible adult is confined to drive you to and from surgery and that someone is available to stay with you around the clock for 24 hours after surgery.
- Shave beard/goatee 3 days before surgery.
THINGS TO PURCHASE BEFORE CHIN IMPLANT SURGERY
- ScarLess®. ScarLess® is a prescription strength cream with vitamin E, silicone and Hydrocortisone to help minimize redness and elevation of scars. You can purchase ScarLess® at our office.
- Multivitamin. Begin taking 2 weeks before and take until 6 weeks after surgery. Do not take vitamin E separately from multivitamin.
- Listerine. Necessary if incision is within the mouth.
- Protein shakes and soft foods. Soft diet is necessary for one week postoperatively.
- Arnica - may decrease bruising, or help it to go away faster. Patients with high blood pressure should not take this herb. Available at Dr. Cruise's office.
THE DAY OF SURGERY
- You may shower and shampoo your hair the night before or morning of your surgery.
- Brush and rinse your teeth 2 hours before surgery. Use mouth wash just prior to surgery.
- Don't eat for 8 hours and don't drink for 6 hours before surgery for general anesthesia, 2 hours for local anesthesia.
- No moisturizer, body lotions, no make up below the nose.
- Do not bring any jewelry or valuables with you on the day of surgery.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing. Wear flat, comfortable shoes. Remove contact lenses and dentures before surgery.
- Take 2 pills of Zofran and 2 pills of Celebrex at 1-2 hours before surgery (general anesthesia).
- Someone must drive you to surgery and pick you up. Someone must stay with you the first night.
- Pack your bag for the day of surgery. This should include:
- all paperwork
- your identification
- all medications
- reading glasses
- warm cotton socks