In terms of cosmetic surgery, breast augmentation has long been one of the most popular procedures the world over. Many women seek it and cosmetic surgeons have perfected the surgery thanks to impressive advancements over the years. The decision of whether to get a breast augmentation is one that is highly personal, but it’s important to know if you are a good candidate for the procedure. At Cruise Plastic Surgery we follow some simple guidelines to know who is a good candidate for breast augmentation.
What Makes You a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Cosmetic surgeons outline certain factors that a patient must meet to determine whether they are a good candidate for breast augmentation. They include the following:
- You must be in good overall health and not suffer from any serious illnesses or infections. If you do have any medical conditions, you must inform the cosmetic surgeon so that he or she can determine whether the surgery is appropriate for you.
- If your breasts have lost volume, are sagging, have gone flat or are asymmetrical, you are a good candidate for the procedure.
- Women who refrain from smoking and only drinking alcohol in moderation tend to be good candidates.
- Candidates should be in good mental health and have a good frame of mind in deciding they want breast augmentation as it is a procedure that can permanently change your physical appearance.
- It is important to acknowledge that while breast augmentation can change the way a woman looks, it cannot fix any body image issues they may experience. Cosmetic surgeons always stress this fact and will take into consideration the individual’s ultimate goal with the procedure.
- Candidates must be aware of all of the risks and benefits of a breast augmentation procedure. Although the surgery is generally safe and breast implants are approved by the FDA, they must remember that the procedure is still surgery, which always carries some risks.
- Women who choose to get breast augmentation for themselves alone and not for another person are generally the best candidates for the procedure.
- Candidates must have the time and ability to rest to recover after breast augmentation surgery. They must acknowledge that they will not be able to perform certain everyday tasks or lift anything over a certain weight. As a result, women must have someone else who can help them while they recuperate from the surgery.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old to get saline breast implants and those who want silicone must be no younger than 22 years of age.
What Makes You Not a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Just as certain criteria makes you a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery, there are other factors that may state the opposite. If any of the following is the case for you, you may not qualify for the procedure:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have breast cancer or have had an abnormal mammogram
- You have an infection or are sick
- Your expectations for the results of breast augmentation surgery are unrealistic
While the vast majority of women qualify for breast augmentation, it is absolutely essential to openly discuss the details of your physical and mental health with the cosmetic surgeon. Being open and honest is best for you. If you are deemed to not be a candidate for the procedure, the doctor may recommend a suitable alternative that is right for you.
Is Breast Augmentation Right for You?
At the end of the day, it is up to you whether a breast augmentation is right for you. Whether or not you are a good candidate, only you and your doctor can determine if it is the right course of action for you. It is a highly personal decision and not one that should be taken lightly.
If you are located in the Orange County, California area and are seriously considering a breast augmentation, contact board-certified plastic surgeon Joseph T. Cruise, M.D. for a consultation. Dr. Cruise has years of experience in breast procedures and will tell you how this procedure can be beneficial to you. He will explain the procedure in detail so that you are comfortable and knowledgeable before undergoing a breast augmentation.